In celebration of Cinco De Mayo, I made a big batch of carnitas, guacamole, and all the fixin’s yesterday. We enjoyed everything fresh, but I’m more excited to eat them today. I find the leftovers are even better.
I decided to write about some of my favorite must-haves for any foodie over the holiday. These items would also make great father’s day (or mother’s day) presents. I love Casabella items and you can read some of my other reviews here.
- Works differently from standard food storage containers, pushing out excess oxygen to prevent oxidization
- Secure: locks in freshness to prevent browning
- Versatile: container doubles as a serving dish
- Useful: Great for entertaining
- Convenient: make ahead and store in the fridge, without worrying that the look and flavor will fade over time
- Durable: made from shatterproof, odorproof and stain–resistant plastic
- Ready to Serve: push–up mechanism keeps container looking full
This is just the coolest. The elevator mechanism basically vacuums out all the air from your guacamole, so it can’t brown. Then, the little bowl can double as a serving dish and fits perfectly in the middle of the chip tray. Then, you can store the rest of the guacamole in the same container in the fridge. What better way to serve chips and guacamole?
This really does work to prevent browning, so if you eat a lot of guacamole, you truly need this. I also use this to store cut-up avocados, but it doesn’t work quite as well as it does with guacamole, which you can flatten on the top to remove any tiny bit of air that could cause browning. The set also came with a recipe for a good guacamole. It is also BPA-free and dishwasher safe.
- Use built–in claws to pull apart raw ground beef or to shred tender cooked chicken or pork
- Sharp edges designed to easily chop meat
- Press both slingers together to push meat through holes for a perfectly crumbled texture
- Safe on non–stick cookware
- Dishwasher safe, top rack only
This set of two slingers is a new must-have in my kitchen. They are perfect when you’re making ground meat and they can shred apart pulled pork, carnitas, pulled chicken, etc. like it’s nothing. In seconds (seriously), a full pork shoulder will be perfectly shredded with no scratches on my non-stick cookware. You can also use them to apply pressure when you’re frying the carnitas at the very end. They are also dishwasher safe, which is huge for me. Anytime I need to shed, chop, or crumble meat, these are the first tools I reach for.
BLACK+DECKER EK500B 9-Inch Electric Carving Knife
- 9” Offset Serrated Blades – The stainless steel blades saw rapidly and evenly through meats, breads, craft foam and more! 7 ½” of the blades are serrated with an additional 1 ½” tang before the plastic allow for up to 9” of carving
- Comfort Grip Handle – The ergonomic handle is engineered to increase comfort and control during slicing
- Dishwasher-Safe Parts – The removable blades are dishwasher-safe for fast and easy cleanup
- Safety Lock Button – Get peace of mind with the lock button, which prevents the knife from turning on while it’s plugged in
- Blade Release Button – One press of the blade release button unlocks the blades for easy removal
This is the absolute best thing for cutting up big hunks of meat, bread, or really tough vegetables, like squash. I used this to cut up a huge hunk of pork, so I could make a big batch of carnitas and freeze the rest of the pork. This electric knife was only like $15, so it seemed worth the investment. I am so glad I bought it and can see myself using it for so, so many things that I struggled to cut up in the past. It also has dishwasher-safe parts and a comfortable ergonomic handle, so I’m in love.
I received some of these products complimentary for testing purposes. All opinions are my own. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.